- Keep it within reach. Whether you want to lose weight, stop smoking, save money, or stop using your cell phone in the car, you need to set a manageable goal. For example, if you honestly need to lose 100 pounds, don’t make that your goal for the year. Instead, have your goal be to make exercise an important part of your life or to make smarter food choices.
- Create a timetable. Create a loose schedule with mini goals that you would like to reach throughout the year. This can definitely be amended through the year, as needed.
- Be prepared for setbacks. There will be times this year when you will absolutely fail at your goals. That’s okay. Just pick yourself back up and keep going. Don’t let small setbacks deter you from the big picture.
- Get a friend. Often, if you work with someone else towards the same goal, you will have a better chance of success. Talk to your friends and family about what you want to accomplish and you will likely find a partner, or at least someone who can help hold you accountable.
- Reward yourself. When you reach small milestones, give yourself a reward, whatever that may be. You can even plan a major reward when you accomplish your original resolution.
With these simple steps in hand, you can be well on your way to having a successful year.