When it gets cold outside, our car gets cold, too. It can be difficult to know just how to take care of your car when this weather hits. Here are some tips for car care in freezing temperatures:
- If you don’t have a garage, try parking your with your hood as near a building as possible so it will be shielded from the wind and keep the battery from freezing.
- The Chicago Tribune suggests a battery snuggie to put over the battery overnight to keep it warm.
- In extreme cold, most experts recommend idling for a minute or two. Don’t idle for more than that as you could dilute the oil with unburned fuel.
- Keeping the tank at half-filled helps prevent a fuel line freeze.
- There’s a product called Tri-Flow that can unfreeze locks if you ever run into such a situation.
When it gets cold, driving can seem like a nuisance, but we have to get places! Use these tips to hopefully make your ride easier.